What is HelloFresh? HelloFresh is a meal delivery company that will deliver pre-measured ingredients right to your doorstep. The way it works is first, you choose your plan. HelloFresh offers a vegetarian plan, classic plan, and family plan. The vegetarian plan and the classic plan both offer meals for 2 or 4 people. The family plan offers meals for 4+ people. You then choose how many days of meals you want. You will have a few recipes to choose from. When the food is delivered to your door, everything is on ice and in a cooler bag which keeps it at a safe temperature.
My family chose the meal plan for 4 people, and we get the ingredients for 3 meals delivered every Tuesday. This gives us 3 nights of dinners we don’t have to go out and shop for or decide on… or should I say, 3 meals we don’t have to argue on.
Each meal takes 20-30 minutes to prepare
- CONVENIENCE! (Delivery service)– You now aren’t rushing to the grocery store at 6:00 at night trying to come up with a good, healthy meal on a whim only to come home and have 2 of your family members tell you they hate what you picked out.
- Quick preparation time– You are starving. You want nothing more than to have someone just put a plate full of food in front of you. These meals are ready in 20-30 minutes, which makes it easy to plan out when to start cooking!
- Promotes cooking– Knowing how to cook is a great skill to have. We have become a generation that wants instant gratification. Knowing how to cook keeps you from constantly going out to dinner all the time (save calories and cash) and who knows, maybe it’ll be your new favorite hobby!
- Introduces new foods– I am the least picky eater I know; and HelloFresh has even introduced me to new foods and new methods of cooking.
- Promotes portion control- The meals are portioned out exactly as proper portions should be. When there’s tons of leftovers, you may want to keep eating even if you’re full. The portions in HelloFresh fill you up, but don’t over-stuff you!
- Encourages home cooked meals– Nothing quite beats a home cooked meal. Anyone in college knows that…
- Limited options each week– You only get 4-6 dinner options to choose from which may cause you to choose something you don’t even like.
- High fat content in most dishes– All of the meals call for butter, oil, or both. If you look at the nutrition facts label, you’ll be hard-pressed to find a meal under 20-35 grams of fat. That’s a little high in my own personal opinion. I eat roughly 60-65 grams of fat per day. I don’t want half my fat to come from just one meal. I would rather have it spaced out throughout the day.
- Portion sizes (depending on meal)- there have been times that I have felt like there was not enough food provided. Usually this is not the case.
- Calorie amount– These meals seems to be pretty calorie dense. However, if you compare them to a restaurant menu, you are much better off eating Hello Fresh! Calories may range between 500-900 per meal. To lower this, you could decrease the amount of butter and olive oil your use in the cooking process.
My family is extremely busy and when it came dinner time, nobody had the time or energy to choose dinner, go to the grocery store to buy the supplies, and then make dinner. It ended up being a forever-long process that resulted in dinner being at 8:00 at night. Another issue we were facing is that we would buy all the ingredients, and end up throwing half of them away because we would buy more than we needed for that recipe. HelloFresh has taken out those extra steps and has given us pre-measured out portions and easy-to-read recipes. For the most part, portion sizes have been plenty for my family to eat, without having excessive leftovers. There have been nights that it did not feel like enough food, but that has been few and far between. The dishes have opened us up to new foods, and new cooking methods.
HelloFresh has been a lifesaver when it comes to time management! However, my biggest complaint is that almost every single recipe we have tried has included a lot of butter, oil, or both. While I am not against using butter and oil in recipes, I think the fat content of these meals can be pretty high. I definitely think it is possible to cook these recipes and only use a portion of the butter or oil recommended, however, I know most people will follow the directions as stated. My other complaint is that some of the meals have been extremely high in calories. I have had meals that were up to 800-900 calories. This obviously will be due a lot to the fat content since there are more calories per 1 gram of fat than there are calories per 1 gram of carbohydrates or protein. Lastly, I think a great addition to this service would be the option to switch out regular pasta with whole grain pasta, and white rice with brown rice. The amount of fiber in the meals is relatively low and swaps like that would help increase the amount of fiber.
In all, I think HelloFresh is a great service that could really cut down the frequency of people eating out, and increase the frequency of family meals. I think with a little bit of tweaking, the recipes can be perfectly healthy, and well-balanced meals. Let me know if you have tried HelloFresh and what you thought of it!